The Mediterranean Diet is a way of eating that is inspired by the traditional foods of countries like Greece, Spain, and Italy.
The diet emphasizes fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and olive oil.
It also includes moderate amounts of fish, poultry, and wine.
Examples of daily meals that illustrate the Mediterranean Diet
There are many delicious options for breakfast on the Mediterranean diet. Here are three of our favorites:
1. Egg and vegetable frittata: This recipe is packed with healthy protein and veggies.
Simply sauté your favorite vegetables (we like onions, peppers, and mushrooms), then add some eggs and shredded cheese.
Bake in the oven until the eggs are set, then enjoy!
2. Greek yogurt with fruit and honey: Start your day with this refreshing and satisfying breakfast bowl.
Top Greek yogurt with fresh berries, diced apples or pears, and a drizzle of honey.
The yogurt provides calcium and protein, while the fruit adds fiber and antioxidants.
3. Avocado toast: This classic breakfast dish is a great way to start your day.
Simply toast some bread, then top with mashed avocado and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Add an egg or some sliced tomatoes if you’re feeling fancy!
You may also be interested in:
- Foods not allowed on the Mediterranean Diet
- Adding exercise to your Mediterranean Diet plan
- Mediterranean diet grocery shopping list
- Can you lose weight with the Mediterranean Diet?
- What kind of cheese is allowed on the Mediterranean Diet?
1. Greek Salad: This classic salad is made with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, olives, feta cheese, and a simple dressing of olive oil and vinegar. Don’t forget to check out our article on How to Drink Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss.
2. Tomato Soup: Warm up with a bowl of this classic soup.
We love adding grilled cheese sandwiches to ours for a heartier meal.
3. Chickpea Salad: This protein-packed salad is perfect for a light lunch.
Simply mix chickpeas, diced tomatoes, and chopped onions with a simple dressing of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) and lemon juice.
4. Hummus Wrap: Spread some hummus on a tortilla wrap, then fill it with your favorite vegetables.
We love grilled peppers, onions, and mushrooms!
1. Chicken with Lemon and Olives: This dish is full of flavor and healthy fats. Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and oregano. Roast in the oven until cooked through. Then, add fresh lemon juice and olives. Serve over a bed of greens.
2. Salmon with Tomatoes and Capers: This recipe is simple but delivers big flavor. Season salmon fillets with salt, pepper, and dill. Bake in the oven, then top with fresh tomatoes and capers.
3. Grilled Vegetables: Tired of the same old side dishes? Try grilling your favorite vegetables instead!
We love grilled zucchini, eggplant, and Portobello mushrooms.
1. Hummus and carrots: Carrots are an excellent source of Vitamin A, and hummus provides both protein and fiber.
This snack will give you sustained energy without the crash that comes from sugary snacks.
2. Roasted chickpeas: Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein, and roasting them gives them a crispy texture that makes them all the more addictive.
Season them with your favorite spices for an extra flavor boost.
3. Fruit and yogurt: This classic combo is a great way to get your daily dose of protein, calcium, and probiotics.
Choose a yogurt that contains live active cultures and probiotics for an added health benefit.
So there you have it!
A day’s worth of meals great for weight loss on the Mediterranean diet. We hope you’ll give some of these recipes a try!