Have you ever driven to the gym, or taken the train (as my fellow New Yorkers do)? You have officially defeated the purpose. The gym is not the only place that you can have a great workout. I have always endorsed dance classes, videos, and even FIT TV, as great sources for heart thumping exercise. But there are also some sneaky ways to add extra activity to your day, without too much effort.
Sneaky Ways to Add Activity to Your Day to Burn Calories
The following tips have been part of my day no matter what. Start slow and try something new every day and soon they will be part of your lifestyle.
1. WALK OR BIKE TO WORK- city dwellers have absolutely no excuse for this one. You could not imagine how effective this is in kick starting some weight loss. The beauty of it is it is not only effective but it gets you where you have to go anyway. Forget crammed subways or tons of traffic: walk, walk, walk. If it is too hurried to walk to work, then walk from work to home.
2. CHORES AND STUFF- when you are running errands you generally tend to carry things, packages, groceries, etc. Use this extra weight while walking to intensify your walk. Don’t take shortcuts, walk with your groceries. You should see me on my days off; I look like a pack mule! It’s not cute but it works.
3. LUNCH TIME- use your hour wisely, pick up your food and brown bag it to same time. Use at least 15 minutes of your lunch hour to take a brisk walk, or go up and down stairs in your building. You can even do the activity before eating your lunch so you can relax with your food in the last 45 minutes. Others prefer to eat first and use the walk to help digestion. Over an entire week it really adds up!
4. WATCHING TV- ahh, some downtime after work, nothing can come between you and your remote, but how about some weights? You are too tired for some heart thumping cardio but how about something a little low-key, like a few reps with small weights, or some lunges or even some stretching. The key is sneaking some type of activity without interrupting your viewing pleasure; soon you won’t even have to think about it.
5. HOUSEWORK DAY- all those tedious chores at the house can be spiced up with some base blasting music and a mop. Whether its meringue (like me) or 80’s music, find what you love and have a blast. Dance your way through the house from chore to chore. Time will fly, you have worked out and your toilet will sparkle. That sounds like a day!
I am sure that if you think about your daily routines you will be able to find more creative ways to find some activity time. Make it part of your day and it will become a mainstay. Soon you will see some great results and have had some great fun!
-Fiorella DiCarlo RD, RDN, CDN